NEW Booklet from CWA--On Economic Justice & Democracy--A MUST Read!
Updated On: Feb 08, 2018
A NEW Booklet from CWA---Building a Movement for Economic Justice & Democracy
A MUST Read-- Excerpt Below
Part II: A DEMOCRACY MOVEMENT IS NECESSARY
IF WE ARE TO MOVE FORWARD TOWARDS ECONOMIC JUSTICE
1. Pay after inflation has not risen in the US in decades—despite economic growth nearly all of the gains have gone to the wealthiest 1%. US trade policy has made this worse, depressing wages and increasing the return on capital.
2. The percent of workers covered by collective bargaining has declined to a level not seen since the era before the Great Depression.
3. Progress on our key economic issues; sustainable jobs, fair trade, health care for all, retirement security and bargaining and organizing rights has been blocked.
4. Our partners focused on climate change, fighting housing foreclosures, civil rights or student debt face the same blocks in our democracy.
5. Blocks in our Democracy:
• Broken Senate Rules
• Money in Politics
• Voter Suppression
• Path to Citizenship
6. The Democracy Initiative with 45 endorsers from labor, green, faith, civil rights, democracy groups, community organizers, students and with more than 30 million members offers us a path to eventually break down these democracy barriers.
7. If we join our key economic fairness issues to the democracy issues we bring together a movement of millions that can Stand Up and Fight Back in the workplace and in our communities. PARTNER ISSUES • Climate Change • Dream Act • Foreclosures & MoreCWA ISSUES 1. Secure Sustainable Jobs 2. Health Care 3. Retirement Security 4. Bargaining & Organizing Rights
This chart shows (in booklet) the major issues for CWA and progressives and spotlights how our ability to move forward on our agenda is obstructed.
CWA has worked hard for bargaining and organizing rights, sustainable jobs, fair trade, good healthcare for all, and retirement security, but we have been blocked.
Our progressive allies have also been blocked from achieving climate change legislation, the DREAM Act, measures to decrease home foreclosures and other issues.